Weapons are items that increase the player's ability to deal damage on structures, mobs, or other players. While holding a weapon, a player's movement speed is substantially slower, stacking with the slowing effects of the winter and ocean biomes. Also, weapons cannot be de-equipped immediately after equipping; there is a timer of several seconds before you can de-equip. This timer can be avoided by dropping your weapon, but this is not recommended as other players could pick it up. This is something to keep in mind during PvP and when hunting mobs. There are two types of weapons in Starve.io - swords and spears.
Swords are able to deal the highest damage. They have smaller hit-boxes in return, Swords have six tiers, from wood to dragon. There's also Pirate Sword, which you can only obtain from treasure chests or gift. It is very possible to fight mobs with small ranges with the right technique.
Swords are good for:
- Dealing the most damage
- Close combat in PvP (more damage on hits)
- Killing mobs much faster compared to spears while kiting, transitively conserving health.
Spears deal less damage than swords, however they can be better sometimes in PvP or few mobs in situations; Players mostly choose their weapons from preference. It is much easier to hunt rabbits with spears, for one thing! Spears have six tiers, from wood to dragon. There's also crab spear which does the damage of a stone spear and can also calm and heal crabs.
Spears are good for:
- Attacking mobs or players behind structures
- Saving resources (Most spears cost 20% less of highest tier materials, compared to swords)
- Kiting in PvP (allows one to easily escape enemies while still being able to hit them)
- Gathering food like berries, pumpkins,etc. (but keep in mind that if you hit a small berry bush in a plantbox a bunch of times, it will be destroyed.)
All weapons except the wooden sword and wood spear require a workbench in order to craft. In addition, amethyst-tier weapons require an IKEA manual equipped as well, in order to finish the craft without the player dying of hunger or thirst. Finally, the dragon sword and dragon spear requires a workbench, heat source and a body of water (ocean or lake) together in order to start the craft.
See also these pages:
|Swords|| Wooden Sword · Stone Sword · Golden Sword · Diamond Sword|
Amethyst Sword · Dragon Sword · Reidite Sword · Lava Sword
|Spears||Wooden Spear · Stone Spear · Golden Spear · Diamond Spear · Amethyst Spear · Dragon Spear · Crab Spear · Reidite Spear · Lava Spear|