Zombie Mode is a Starve.io game mode that can be accessible at the bottom of the server list. In zombie mode, there is no winter or ocean, only the forest, but there are amethyst and diamond nodes, like in Forest Mode, and the map is extremely large. Chrono quests are disabled in this game mode. The server is only open for the first 3 days (24 minutes). When the server is closed, players can still join, but only as a Zombie. The objective of the game is to survive as long as possible. The server resets when all non-zombie players (survivors) are dead. Players and their spikes cannot deal damage to each other in this mode - the best way of surviving the zombies is by teaming up and making a base. The game always starts at night time. When there are only 10 survivors left, they are displayed as red dots in the minimap, to both survivors and zombies. Players cannot choose the zombie skin (because zombies use this skin).
New players will spawn as zombies after 3 days in a zombie mode server (when the infection starts). At night, zombies deal quite a lot of damage by hand and move much faster than players. However, during the day, zombies are slower than players, and are harmless against mobs, players and structures.
Over time, day by day, zombies deal more damage. This is calculated by these two formulas:
- Zombies damage against players / mobs : 4 + 2 x DAY_IN_GAME (max is 30)
- Zombies damage against buildings : 4 + 1 x DAY_IN_GAME (max is 50)
Mobs will still target zombies. Zombies can destroy every structure using only their hands. Zombies regenerate life faster at night. They lose hunger with time, but do not lose warmth, oxygen or hydration. Zombies can eat all foods, and they don't lose life when they eat raw meat. Zombies cannot damage each other (although they can hit each other).
Zombies can wear helmets (obtained from box or chests) and other clothing, but they cannot equip any weapons or tools. They can gather basic resources and food like Wood, Berries, Garlic and Pumpkin, but they can not craft or recycle items. Zombies can use chests, and they can steal flour from windmill and bread from bread oven. Zombies cannot lock/unlock chests.
Some zombies spawn as super zombies. They are slower but stronger, and have more defensive health than basic zombies. Super zombies can also gather stone. The number of super zombies in a server depends on the number of survivors alive. Super zombies, unlike normal zombies, cannot equip helmets.
Zombies are displayed in the leaderboard as blank spaces, with scores of 0. Zombies cannot have nicknames, but can still choose accessories. When chatting as a zombie, there is a character limit, and the phrase "Uuuunnngg..." is added to the start or end of your message; e. g. if you typed 'Group here!", it will display as "Uuunnngg... Group here!" to other zombies. Survivors cannot see messages from zombies. Instead, they will see a message a zombie would probably say to a survivor in real life, such as "Uuunnngg... You are tasty!"
Zombie mode resets when when all non-zombie players (survivors) are dead.
Currently, survivors cannot win the game. As a survivor, just try to survive as long as you can!
Tips & Tricks
Tips for SURVIVORS:
- Get a bag first, then golden tools / book, then a diamond weapon. Amethyst isn't too important.
- While a sword allows for faster hunting, you should get a spear later on for base defense, as you can attack through walls and spikes.
- Build a base hidden in a dense mass of trees. This helps you to remain undetected until late-game.
- Protect your walls with a wrench.
- Alternatively, build in a corner of the map to reduce the resources and management required.
- Make sure to break any dead player boxes you come across, as you can obtain some more bottles.
- It is okay to go outside at night before the 6th day, provided you have decent equipment (diamond).
- After 6 days, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BASE AT NIGHT! Zombies deal much more damage then!
Tips for ZOMBIES:
- Target spikes! They have much less health than doors and walls. It doesn't matter if you take a lot of damage, as you can respawn, unlike survivors. Communicate this to other zombies in the vicinity!
- If there are no spikes, then attack doors, since survivors won't hit you with a spear through the door.
- At day time, gather berries, try to group up with other zombies, and find survivors and their bases.
- It is very important to attack in groups, especially with highly fortified bases and players with spears.
- Players are often found near lakes and diamond/amethyst. Bases are common on lakes and at corners.
- You can hide under the branches of big trees. This is good for escaping players, and hiding in a base.
For more tips and strategies for zombies, see Mnyush's In-Depth Zombies Guide.